Learn to be your own best resource
Providing support through illness, injury and healthy aging in a wide variety of areas:
- Recovery and treatment of chronic or persistent pain
- Improve muscular strength, body stability, mobility and variability
- Reduce stress, anxiety and depression
- Promote and improve respiratory and cardiovascular function
- Improve sleep patterns
ENHANCE OVERALL WELL-BEING AND QUALITY OF LIFE
Utilizing a variety of gentle movement, breath and awareness practices of yoga along with knowledge and resources to help in understanding the condition as it relates specifically, to you.
Though you may be suffering from pain or side effects from cancer treatment, or rheumatoid arthritis, sleeplessness or a multitude of problems, your experience is different from anyone else who has the same thing. Whether due to past history, your physical or emotional state, living conditions, genetics, stressors, age, etc. Each, is a different factor to be considered.
Jody is a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT), a certified Pain Care Yoga Teacher and a Student of Yoga Therapy (SYT) with a particular interest in helping people with chronic or persistent pain.
With an understanding of a biopsychosocial approach to pain and it’s similarities to the holistic approach that yoga practices and philosophy offer, Jody integrates contemporary pain science along with self-management tools, techniques and practices.
Having lived overseas much of the last 20 years she recognizes not only the uniqueness of each and every person from a personal point of view, but also how culture and environment play a part in how we live and move in the larger world around us. She utilizes her keen sense of interest and observation of people along with her caring and compassion for each lived experience, to create safe spaces for learning, growth and healing.
Currently enrolled in an accredited International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) program at The School of Embodied Yoga Therapy in Ottawa, she expects to complete her studies in early 2020.
YOGA / YOGA THERAPY EDUCATION
- Currently enrolled in a 2-year program at The School of Embodied Yoga Therapy (Accredited by IAYT – International Association of Yoga Therapists) with expected certification by summer 2020. Within this training will also obtain certification as a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT-500) at the 500 level which indicates an additional 500 hours of training.
- Level 1 – Yoga for Children with Autism and Special Needs, from Shawnee Thornton Hardy (Asanas for Autism and Special Needs), Jan 2020.
- Completed “A Year in Ayurveda with Matthew Remski”, online learning, Jan 2020.
- Montreal International Symposium on Therapeutic Yoga (MISTY), (notable workshops from Amy Wheeler, Jules Mitchell, Robin Rothenberg), Montreal, QC, 2019.
- Overcome Pain with Gentle Yoga, Neil Pearson, Ottawa, 2018.
- As part of SEYT program, ‘Pelvic Floor Yoga Therapy’, Shelly Prosko, PhysioYoga, Ottawa, 2018.
- Pain Science & Yoga Therapy, Neil Pearson, Ottawa, 2018.
- Certification YT Application Program, Susi Hately. Support to aid in preparation and obtaining requirements for application to her yoga therapy certification program, 2018.
- Pain & Healing online conference, hosted by Susi Hately (with speakers: Lorimer Mosely, Tasha Stanton, David Butler, Richard Miller, Dr. Tracy Jackson, Neil Pearson, Matthew Taylor), 2017.
- Ongoing membership with ‘Susi’s Studio’, with weekly video reviews of Susi’s approach to working with people in pain and who have musculoskeletal problems, since about 2016.
- Neurobiology of Yoga (1hr) on-line training program by Yoga Medicine, 2016.
- Evolution, online training with Susi Hately of Functional Synergy, Part 1 & 2 (18 months); (Part 1 – videos reviews of Yoga Therapy client sessions, mentoring, Ayurveda, discussion board. Part 2 – developing presence, assessment, selecting a stimulus, evaluation), 2016-17.
- Online course ‘Yoga Biomechanics’ by Jules Mitchell, 2016.
- Therapeutic Yoga Intensive training with Susi Hately, of Functional Synergy, Toronto, ON, 2015.
- Toronto Yoga Conference (notable workshops with Leslie Kaminoff, Jason Crandell, Susi Hately), Toronto, ON, 2014.
- I Love Anatomy, online training with Functional Synergy (Susi Hately), Calgary, AB, 2014.
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8 week program, Doha, Qatar, 2012.
Notable teachers / workshops taken during my time at Yama Yoga Studios, Doha, Qatar:
- John Scott, Ashtanga yoga – one of the first certified teachers offering the ashtanga primary series.
- Kathryn Budig, Vinyasa yoga – specializing in arm balances. Author, teacher on YogaGlo.
- Julie Martin, Vinyasa yoga – specializing in asana as an awareness practice, finding your own way. Now teaches global on-line classes on Ekhart Yoga.
- Jonas Westring, Anusara yoga – this also included exposure to thai yoga massage.
- Emil Wendel, was teaching alongside Julie Martin, providing the yoga philosophy piece.
- David Oliver, my teacher’s teacher from Arizona, USA. Ashtanga yoga – specializing in hands-on assists along with learning Sanskrit; both written and verbal.
- Cheryl Oliver – specializing in Sanskrit, chanting. Completed restorative yoga training/certification with her.
- Max Strom, yoga educator, author, speaker – specializing in breath, creator of the Inner Axis practice to help with anxiety, stress and sleeplessness.
- Nicki Knoff, long-time Iyengar teacher from Australia, who studied both with the Iyengars and Pattabi Jois. Teaching since the 1970’s.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Certified as a Pain Care Yoga Teacher, by Pain Care U (Neil Pearson), 2019.
- Restorative Teacher Training Certification, by Cheryl Oliver, Doha, Qatar, 2012
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT-200) by Valerie Jeremijenko, PhD., Owner/Director at Yama Yoga Studios, Doha, Qatar, 2011.
- Certified by Yoga Alliance and have been a registered member since 2011.
- Certified as an Usui Reiki (Level II) practitioner, 2010